Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week 1: Reflection




The first week of class I was not in the class because I was switched into the class later in the week. So I personally did not get to experience the first face-face class. I emailed my teacher to get all the information that I missed and had to catch up on, and to my surprise I had missed a ton. I missed the in class Ice breaker activity, I wished I was there because ice breaker activities always get the class more comfortable with each other.

During the first week we covered “Plot,” I seemed to learn a lot about plot that I hadn’t know before, by watching the pondering plot presentation that was found in the week 1 folder. Our first real assignment was to read Margret Atwood’s Happy Endings, and then to write a plot/ short story and create a PowerPoint presentation showing the different parts of the plot. We had to use Scenario F (Your characters are John, who is revolutionary and Mary, who is a counterespionage agent) to create a plot. I wrote a story about a college relationship turned bad. From doing all the work in week 1 I now know the different elements of plot very well. After the first week of class I was actually kind of nervous about the course because of how much work we already had to do. For a first week of class it seemed a bit overwhelming for most.


The short story I wrote for my plot post :

It was a cold fall day in a small college town located on the border of Quebec. John a revolutionary had been waiting for this day for a long time today was the day he would find out if all his fighting had paid off. John had been working very hard to change all the dorms on campus to co-ed. His girlfriend Mary who is a counterespionage had different feeling about the whole idea of the dorms being co-ed, because she didn’t like the possibility of other being in her boyfriend’s room. John hurried to the board meeting to see if the housing would be changed to co-ed this year. When he got there he was thrilled to hear the news that the dorms would now be co-ed this semester. School started and now he would be able to live across the hall from Mary. He first day of school began and Mary went to the gym while she had some spare time in between classes. At the gym she met a guy named Justin who she was really attracted to, they talked and the conversation led to her taking him back to her dorm. Mary and Justin were performing sexual acts when they heard a knock on the door, Mary’s heart began to race she thought in her head “Please not it be John.” She opened the door and there was john who came to surprise her with a dozen roses. In the corner of John’s eye he spots Justin lying in Mary’s bed and instantly freaks out and runs to the kitchen, grabs a knife and stabs Mary repeatedly until she’s dead. He stared at her body lying on the floor in pool a blood and realized that he could not live with himself for what he had done and in return slices his own neck. Justin, who is still in Mary’s bed and is in complete shock in what he just watched happen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your short story based on Atwood's Happy Endings.

    ReplyDelete