Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week 5: Reflection


This week we were introduced to poetry and learned that poetry is much more than just simple rhymes. In class we did a really cool activity that lead to not only poem making but also a lot of creativity. We were each given a school newspaper and told to pick an article and scan through it. Then we had to underline a few words/phrases and create a poem using those words/phrases. I used an article on the recent VMA’s and what went on that night at the VMA’s. The article was mainly describing how Kayne West took the microphone out of Taylor Swift’s hands as she was making her thank you speech, and rudely took that special moment away from her. My poem was based off this and was aimed to bringing out the emotion that took place during that event. I liked this activity because it really got me thinking creatively. Before we did this activity we also listened to a poem written by Marianne Moore called Poetry, and were told to respond to the poem with a journal entry.


For this week’s discussion forum we were to research a murder story that was in the news and had a love theme to it. I took the time to research the Scott Paterson case, which was a murder that took place late 2002. Scott Peterson murdered his eight month pregnant wife, because he had a feeling that she found out about the affair he had been having with another women. We were told to write a Ballad poem using this theme. So I took it a different direction then most of the other students and wrote my poem from the dead wives view. I believe my poem was very good but I didn’t receive the grade that I thought I had earned for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jbv6QQRi8I

My Ballard Poem:

Deceived by Love

The watery grave that I now lie in,
how did this come to be
this strange place is not my home,
but at least my baby is with me.

I can’t remember how I got here,
the circumstances I must embrace
for my true love was responsible,
the death penalty he must await.

He once was so happy,
Or so I was led to believe,
it seems so imaginable,
how much he could deceive.

My memory is fading,
of that faithful day,
the day my love,
strangled my breath away.

I also submitted my second draft to paper one this week. My first draft was nothing like my second draft, which was much stronger. After reviewing all my errors and corrections I should make to better my paper, it seemed my paper had really done a complete turnaround. I learned alot about poetry this week and wrote a good poem to show for it.

1 comment:

  1. I like your ballad a lot. I just was curious who you were writing about.

    ReplyDelete